Below you’ll find a record of all the wines I have tasted worth writing about. If you like the wines I like, hopefully you will discover something new to try! Cheers!
★☆☆, A Good Wine
★★☆, A Great Wine
★★★, An Outstanding Wine
★★★ Pick! An Unforgettable Wine
Wines are listed A-Z by country and then A-Z by winery, brewer or distillery.
Red Wine Tasting Notes
Explore my tasting notes on red wine here. Each wine will link to an article, or occasionally an individual tasting note. With my red wines I tend to like Pinot Noir, Gamay and Nebbiolo in lighter styles, and rich, bold Garnacha or Negroamaro in my full-bodied wines. Of course, picking your favourites can be a massive generalisation and there are certainly some surprises along the way.
- 2013, Sant’Ilia Cabernet Sauvignon ★☆☆
- 2016, Terra Tangra Organic Mavrud Blend ★★★ Pick!
- 2016, Terra Tangra Winemaker’s Selection ★☆☆
- 2008, Chateau L’Estang Cotes de Castillon ★☆☆
- 2011, Chateau Viramiere St. Emilion Grand Cru ★☆☆
- 2016, Cote de Mazenay Bourgogne Cote du Couchois Les Parisiennes Red ★★☆
- 2013, Domaine de l’Oranger ★☆☆
- 2015, Domaine Manuel Oliver Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits Vieilles Vignes Red ★★☆
- 2016, Domaine de Pierre Rouge Touraine ★☆☆
- 2018, Jacques-Charlet Beaujolais ★★☆
- 2016, Maison Les Alexandrins Crozes-Hermitage Nicolas Perrin ★☆☆
- 2019, Remi Benon Beaujolais-Villages ★☆☆
- 2019, Sancerre Rouge Les Champs Clos ★☆☆
- 2018, Stephane Aviron Fleurie Maison de la Madriere Vielles Vignes ★★☆
- 2017, Aldinger Untertürkheimer Gips Spätburgunder Premier Cru ★★☆
- 2015, Bercher Burkheimer Spätburgunder Village Pinot Noir QbA ★★☆
- 2017, Meyer-Näkel Estate Spätburgunder QbA ★★★
- 2014, Barone Ricasoli Rocca Guicciarda Chianti Classico Riserva ★☆☆
- 2011, Cantine di Negrar Amarone della Valpolicella ★★☆
- 2012, Grati Villa di Vetrice Chianti Rufina Riserva ★★★ Pick!
- 2018, Pazzia Primitivo di Manduria DOP ★☆☆
- 2019, Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Marzemino Trentino ★★☆
- 2016, Fermier Cabernet Franc (Niigata) ★★☆
- 2016, Hokkaido Wine Yoichi Harvest Special Zweigelt ★★☆
- 2015, Mercian Mariko Omnis ★☆☆
- 2015, Suntory Shiojiri Winery Muscat Bailey A (Nagano) ★☆☆
- 2015, Caves Vidigal Porta 6 Lisboa ★☆☆
- 2001, Jose Maria Fonseca FSF ★★☆
- 2013, Quinta do Passadouro Tinto ★★☆
- 2014, Quinto do Crasto Douro Superior ★★☆
- 2013, Vadio Bairrada Tinto ★☆☆
- 2019, Journey’s End Sir Lowry Cabernet Sauvignon ★★☆
- 2017, Lismore Estate Pinot Noir ★★★
- 2014, Lismore Estate Syrah ★★☆
- 2016, Lismore Estate Syrah ★★★
- 2017, Lismore Estate Reserve Syrah Greyton ★★★ Pick!
- 2017, Arlanza Sdad. Coop. Provincial Dominio de Manciles Crianza ★☆☆
- 2014, Bodegas Virtus S.L. Alma de Virtus ★★☆
- 2015, Carmen Rodriguez Mendez Carodorum Seleccion Especial Reserva ★★★
- 2016, Rioja Vega Crianza ★☆☆
- 2016, Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Priorat ★☆☆
- 2014, Vina Fuentenarro Ribero del Duero Reserva ★★☆
- 2018, Vina Zorzal Corral de los Altos ★★☆
- 2018, Vinedos Sampedro Y Alonso S.L. Xardin de Xampedro ★☆☆
White Wine Tasting Notes
Next up are my tasting notes on white wines. I like a whole host of white wine, but my all-time favourite is Riesling. Whether it’s sweet with searing freshness, or dry and rounded with layers of fruits and honey, I find that when Riesling is done well it’s endlessly appealing. I prefer white wine to red when pairing with food, so I do opt for the white more than most.
- 2019, André Dezat Domaine Thibault Pouilly-Fumé ★★☆
- 2013, Cave Vinicole de Hunawihr Gewurztraminer Reserve ★☆☆
- 2018, Chateau du Poyet Muscadet Sevre & Maine Sur Lie ★☆☆
- 2016, Domaine Evelyne et Dominique Bruyeres Macon-Fuisse Les Grandes Bruyeres ★★★ Pick!
- 2016, Domaine de la Jobeline Macon-Verze En Previsy ★☆☆
- 2015, Dopff & Irion Gewurztraminer Cuvée René Dopff ★★☆
- 2018, La Cabriole Saumur Chenin Blanc ★☆☆
- 2012, Le Chablisienne Chablis La Pierrelee ★☆☆
- 2018, Les Duchesses La Porte Pouilly-Fume ★★☆
- 2018, Pierre Chainier Vouvray, Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference ★☆☆
- 2017, Sabar Rhine Riesling Leszner ★★★ Pick!
- 2017, Feudo di San Gregorio Fiano di Avellino ★☆☆
- 2017, Feudo di San Gregorio Fiano di Avellino ‘Pietracalda’ ★★☆
- 2017, Fermier El Mar Albarino ★☆☆
- 2016, Hokkaido Kitajima Vineyard No7 Kerner ★☆☆
- 2017, Hokkaido Wine Tazaki Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc ★★★ Pick!
- 2017, Katsunuma Jozo Arugabranca Clareza Koshu ★☆☆
- 2016, Katsunama Jozo Arugabranca Pipa ★★☆
- 2017, Lumiere Prestige Orange Koshu ★★☆
- 2017, Manns Wine Solaris Shinshu Chardonnay Tarujikomi ★☆☆
- 2016, Mercian Iwade Koshu Cuvee Ueno ★☆☆
- 2016, Mercian Koshu Kiiroka ★★☆
- 2016, MGVs Winery K113 Koshu ★☆☆
- 2016, MGVs Winery K234 Ichinomiyacho Utsugida Koshu ★★☆
- 2015, Filipa Pato FP Bairrada Branco ★☆☆
- 2015, Quinto do Crasto Douro Superior ★☆☆
- 2018, Reguengo de Melgaco Alvarinho Vinho Verde ★★☆
- 2015, Ktima Gerovassiliou Chardonnay ★★☆
- 2015, Chateau Nico Lazaridi Magic Mountain White ★★☆
- 2018, Chateau Nico Lazaridi Magic Mountain White ★★☆
- 2016, Semeli Mantinia Nassiakos ★★★
- 2019, Belingham ‘The Bernard Series’ Whole Bunch Roussanne ★★☆
- 2016, Lismore Estate Chardonnay ★★★ Pick!
- 2016, Lismore Estate Barrel-Fermented Sauvignon Blanc ★★☆
- 2017, Lismore Estate Reserve Chardonnay ★★★ Pick!
- 2017, Lismore Estate Reserve Viognier Greyton ★★★
- 2017, Lismore Estate Viognier ‘The Age of Grace’ ★★☆
- 2017, Swartland Winery Winemaker’s Collection Granite Rock White ★☆☆
- 2019, Javier Sanz Verdejo Malcorta ★★★
- 2019, Faustino Rivero Albariño Rias Baixas ★★☆
- 2015, Sociedad Coop. Valdechimoza, Cissus Crianza Oxidativa Verdejo ★★☆
- 2018, Xosé Lois Sebio Albarino ‘O Con’ Rias Baixas ★★★
Rosé Wine Tasting Notes
Drink pink! This is one thing I’m totally onboard with. I’ve tasted some pink wines that are every bit as classy, interesting and complex as their white wine friends. I’m sure if you try some of my top rosé picks, you’ll love it as much as I do.
Sparkling Wine Tasting Notes
Pop the fizz! Explore my sparkling wine tasting notes, including the realms of Champagne, Sekt, Cava, English bubbly and beyond. What better way to celebrate than with a glass of fizz? My favourite bubblies usually walk the rope between bright orchard fruits and lashings of creamy butter on toasted brioche.
- NV, Skoff Sauvignon Blanc Brut Reserve ★☆☆
- NV, Fritz Salomon Zweigelt Pet Nat ★★★ Pick!
- 2018, Weingut Schabl Pet Nat ★★☆
- NV, Weingut Schwarzbock Riesling Sekt ★★☆
- NV, Don Guerino Brut Rosé Malbec ★★☆
- 2016, Familia Geisse Amadeu Brut Rosé ★★☆
- 2010, Familia Geisse Brut Rosé Terroir ★★★ Pick!
- 2014, Albourne Estate Blanc de Blancs ★★★
- NV, Albourne Multi-Vintage ★☆☆
- 2013, Camel Valley Cornwall Brut ★★☆
- NV, Cottonworth Classic Cuvée ★★★
- 2010, Furleigh Estate Rosé Brut ★★★ Pick!
- 2011, Gusbourne Brut Reserve ★☆☆
- MV, Nyetimber Classic Cuvee ★★☆
- NV, Aimery Crémant de Limoux Brut ★☆☆
- NV, Champagne Billecart-Salmon Brut Reserve ★★☆
- 2005, Charles Heidseick Brut Millésime ★★★ Pick!
- NV, Dopff au Maulin Cremant d’Alsace Cuvee Julien ★★☆
- 2004, Joseph Perrier Royale ★★☆
- NV, Lombard & Cie 1er Cru Rosé ★☆☆
- NV, Montlouis-sur-Loire Domaine des Liards Mousseaux Brut ★☆☆
- NV, Adami Prosecco Brut Garbel ★☆☆
- 2015, Medici Ermete Concerto Lambrusco ★★☆
- 2014, Medici Ermete i Quercioli Lambrusco ★★☆
- NV, Roederer Estate Quartet Brut ★★★ Pick!
Sweet & Fortified Wine Tasting Notes
I love sweet wines. I have a sweet tooth in the food world, but I can’t get along with syrupy sweet wines. Luckily there’s a whole world of nectars out there that get the balance of acidity and sugar spot on. You’ll also find a few fortified dry or medium dry wines in here, which I probably don’t taste enough.
Late Harvest & Noble Rot Dessert Wines
Spirits Tasting Notes
Spirits grew on me. For every example – whisky, gin, tequila, palinka and so on – I began my experience not liking them, then playing around in mixers, to largely preferring most of them neat or with a dash of water. Perhaps with the hard stuff, it comes with experience. I love peat, or any smoky spirit, and I enjoy seeking out the spirits that have been exceptionally creative.
Cider and Beer Tasting Notes
I started in the drinks world reviewing beers for Peppermint Bars’ website when I was still in sixth form and, later, for the internal magazine at Waitrose where I worked. So I do like a good beer now and again, and it’s usually a stout – or something rich and dark anyway. Cider was a revelation. I drank too much of it as a teen and spent years despising it, until I met Cider Is Wine in 2019 and discovered the brilliant quality on offer. Some of these ciders are absolutely marvellous.
- Abel Methode Cider, New Zealand ★★★ Pick!
- Brannland “Claim” Iscider 8.0% abv, Sweden ★★☆
- Brannland Pernilla, Sweden ★★★ Pick!
- Gospel Green Brut, England ★★☆
- Gospel Green Rose, England ★★★
- Hallets Deviation, Wales ★★☆
- Killahora Ice, Ireland ★★★
- Kystin Apple Chestnut, France ★★★
- Once Upon A Tree Wild Flight, England ★★☆
- Once Upon A Tree Dabinett Pinot, England ★☆☆
- Pilton Keeved, England ★★☆